CHICAGO -- The last time the White Sox went to salary arbitration with a player was in 2001, when reliever Keith Foulke won his hearing and saw his salary jump from $445,000 to $3.1 million.
That streak still has a strong chance of staying intact for the South Siders, even with all four 2010 arbitration-eligible players filing on Friday. Left-handed starter John Danks, closer Bobby Jenks, outfielder Carlos Quentin and reliever Tony Pena comprise this list.
These four players and the White Sox will exchange salary figures on Tuesday, but they can agree to a contract any time before the hearings from Feb. 1-21. Jenks stands as the only one of the four eligible in his second year of arbitration, having avoided arbitration last year by agreeing to a deal worth $5.6 million. That sum represented a jump from $550,000 in the previous year.
Jenks, 28, saved 29 games last year but also battled through nagging injuries and matched a career high with six blown saves. Danks, 24, figures to get a nice bump from his $520,000 salary after producing a 13-11 record with a 3.77 ERA in 32 starts last season. Danks also surpassed 200 innings for the first time in his career.
Quentin, 27, had Most Valuable Player-caliber numbers in 2008 but had his 2009 campaign derailed by a rupture of the plantar fascia in his left foot. Quentin still knocked out 21 home runs in 99 games and collected 56 RBIs. Both Danks and Quentin were offered multiyear deals last March, similar to the four-year, $15.5 million accepted by Gavin Floyd, but they turned down said offer. Danks told MLB.com earlier this offseason that he remained interested in a multiyear deal.
Pena earned $430,000 in 2009 and posted a 1-2 record with a 3.75 ERA over 35 games with the White Sox. Between stops in Arizona and Chicago, Pena appeared in 72 games and fanned 55 over 70 innings pitched.
Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.