CHICAGO -- Conor Gillaspie returned from his rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Charlotte and was activated from the disabled list prior to Wednesday's home contest with the Cubs. Gillaspie went 2-for-12 over three games with the Knights, having been on the disabled list retroactive to April 22.
The White Sox third baseman, who was not in the starting lineup against Travis Wood, believed rest would cure the bruise on his left hand that affected his hitting and stemmed from getting jammed repeatedly over a month-long period.
"I'm really excited to be back out there and start playing and start working again," said Gillaspie, adding that his hand feels better than it has for the last month and a half. "It's been kind of a long two weeks, so it's definitely good to be back here and see everybody.
"Offensively, there might be a few hiccups. Obviously, facing pitchers up here is a lot different than facing them down there. Defensively, I tried to get my work in every day. I spent a lot of time doing that, spent a lot of time strengthening my arm, things that I could do. I'm ready to go now and am very excited to be back."
To make room for Gillaspie, outfielder Jordan Danks was optioned to Charlotte. The White Sox starting outfield figures to feature Moises Sierra, Alejandro De Aza and Dayan Viciedo until Adam Eaton returns from the disabled list, although manager Robin Ventura mentioned Adam Dunn also could play in left from time to time.
This move also means that Marcus Semien, who started Wednesday at third, stays with the White Sox and takes his late-inning clutch hitting into more of a part-time role.
"There's enough for him to be in the mix and get him some opportunities to still be up here and get at-bats and help us win," said Ventura of Semien. "He deserves to be up here the way he's been playing. We'll find a way to play him."