Suspended game to finish in Baltimore

Suspended game to finish in Baltimore

MINNEAPOLIS -- Courtesy of Mother Nature exerting her influence in Chicago, the White Sox will get the rare opportunity to play a home game in Baltimore.

Actually, they have the chance to finish a game started Monday at U.S. Cellular Field on Monday, Aug. 25 at Camden Yards. That particular scheduling decision was handed down Tuesday, with the series finale suspended in the 12th inning to be finished before the regularly-scheduled opener of a three-game road set.

The suspended completion will begin at 5:05 p.m. CT, with the nine-inning affair starting at 6:05 p.m. CT or 20 minutes after the conclusion of the suspended game. Although the players involved seemed to want to finish Monday's game after playing more than three hours in the 38-degree cold and steady rain, Ozzie Guillen backed the umpires' decision to halt the contest taking place in an infield quagmire.

"Believe me, the umpires didn't make the decision just because," the White Sox manager said. "The umpires, they have the right. The field was pretty nasty.

"They had a tough decision to make. We have to deal with it. We have to play the game and hopefully win the game."

White Sox groundskeeper Roger Bossard and his staff received numerous plaudits for their ability to keep the field playable for as long as they did. But an indication as to the infield's overall condition late in the game came on Brandon Fahey's infield single in the top of the 11th.

His slow roller basically stopped on the infield grass, knocking up water as it moved along the grass.

"When I got to second, it was unbelievable anyone was able to field on that," White Sox outfielder Brian Anderson said.

Talk of Monday's long rainy journey into night brought a few White Sox coaches back to the team's last suspended game on May 8, 1984. The longest contest in American League history started on May 8 and ended the next day on Harold Baines' home run in the 25th inning. Baines now serves as the team's first-base coach.

Rudy Law and Carlton Fisk combined for seven hits in 22 at-bats over that game alone, while Juan Agosto threw seven scoreless innings of relief. Tom Seaver won the suspended game with one inning of relief as the White Sox eighth pitcher, and then started and won the game on May 9.

Greg Walker, the current White Sox hitting coach, started at first base and finished 2-for-4. He exited in the eighth inning.

"I didn't have anything to do with winning," said Walker with a laugh. "It wasn't that big of a deal for me. I sat and watched. I was a cheerleader for [17] innings."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.