Humber in good shape after taking liner off head

Humber in good shape after taking liner off head

Humber in good shape after taking liner off head
CHICAGO -- There's one question Philip Humber continues to ponder two days after being struck above the right eye with a fierce Kosuke Fukudome line drive in the second inning of Thursday's 4-2 loss to the Indians.

"I don't know what side of the family I got a hard head from," said a smiling Humber, speaking before Saturday night's game against the Rangers.

Humber has been checked out quite a bit by the White Sox since leaving Thursday's contest, but he has passed every test or exam "with flying colors." The existing knot feels like a bruise, but Humber added that he wouldn't really know it's there if for not seeing it in the mirror or watching the replay.

As was talked about by the White Sox on Friday, Humber's move to the disabled list was more a precautionary measure. Ozzie Guillen said Saturday that Humber feels good, but the White Sox didn't want to take the chance of something bad happening after the fact.

"This little thing could have been ugly, been bad later," Guillen said. "That's the reason we did it. He's being checked by the doctors. The great thing about all this -- he feels good, he doesn't feel great, but he feels good."

The biggest concern for Humber was cheering up his wife, Kristan, who also was in attendance when he was hit just to the right of his mouth while pitching for the Triple-A Omaha Royals on June 10 of last year. That was a bloody injury where Humber lost consciousness and needed 18 stitches, but his ability to bounce back up immediately this time didn't seem to provide any extra comfort.

"She's pretty broken up about it," Humber said.

Fukudome called over to check on Humber after the accident, but Humber said Saturday that Fukudome was doing exactly what he was supposed to do with a hanging curve. Humber joked that he saved a run on the play and added that he won't have any fear when stepping back on the mound.

"I'm sure the first time, I mean, I remember last year. Last year was a lot worse," Humber said. "I was swelling up out to here. The funny thing was last year I had blood all over me and I didn't know what was going on.

"After I got hit, I got basically carried off the field and I was rushed to the emergency room and all that. I pitched nine days later last year. For a while there I'd kind of flinch on ground balls up the middle and stuff. I don't think I'll think about it. I really don't."