Ozzie not thinking about Marlins' future

Ozzie not thinking about Marlins' future

Ozzie not thinking about Marlins' future
CHICAGO -- With the unexpected resignation of Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez on Sunday came the expected chatter about White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen as his eventual successor after the season.

In the interim, the Marlins once again have turned to Jack McKeon to guide them through the rest of the season. But no one expects the now 80-year-old skipper -- who took over in midseason in 2003 and, with Guillen as his third-base coach, guided the Marlins to the World Series title -- to be the long-term solution.

The position likely will be open again this offseason, as it was last winter when the Marlins approached the White Sox about acquiring Guillen, who at the time had one year and an option left on his contract, to be their new manager. Compensation never was agreed upon, the Marlins hired Rodriguez and the White Sox picked up the option on Guillen for the 2012 season during SoxFest 2011 in January.

That ended the discussion of Guillen to Florida, which is where such talk should remain, if you ask White Sox general manager Ken Williams.

"[We won] two out of three in Arizona and [you] want to go down that road," Williams said prior to Monday's game. "I don't have any comment on that stuff. It's a waste of time."

Guillen responded to the situation with his trademark wit, but stayed focused on the task at hand -- turning the White Sox around.

"When you're good, your name is going to pop up a lot," said Guillen, laughing. "I have a job to do here. I have another year with the White Sox. I think it's nice when somebody wants you. I have a lot of contacts from the past out there, and they like the way I work I guess.

"Last year, we went through it and it was fun because somebody wants you, but it's not worth it because, all of a sudden, the players get involved like, 'You staying? You leaving?'

"We're not in a position to be thinking about what happens with Ozzie in the future," Guillen said. "We have to worry about what's going to happen to us this year. And then next year, is something going to happen? Like I told my wife this morning, if something is going to happen, it'll happen."

For it to happen, now that Guillen is under contract through 2012, the Marlins and White Sox would have to revisit the same discussion they had last season when they were unable to agree on compensation.

"How long he wants me here, that's up to [White Sox chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf]," Guillen said. "That's in their hands. There's nothing I can do about it right now. I don't have a choice unless I say I'm done and quitting this ballclub, and I'm never going to do that."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Being Ozzie Guillen, and follow him on Twitter @scottmerkin. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.