CLEVELAND -- Mark Buehrle's franchise-record ninth Opening Day start with the White Sox also could be his last one thrown for the South Siders. The talented southpaw is playing in the final season of a four-year, $56 million extension.
This current deal was agreed upon during the 2007 season. But Buehrle isn't concerned as to whether history can repeat itself contractually with a multiyear extension during the 2011 campaign.
"I have no idea. I don't know which route the team's going," said Buehrle, who will throw the first pitch of the White Sox season some time after 2:05 p.m. CT on Friday against the Indians. "I don't know if they have some young guys they want to bring up instead of bringing me back, I have no clue.
"I'm not too concerned about it. I'm going to go out there every five days, and if talks do happen, I'm sure my agent will let me know or the White Sox will let me know, and we'll go from there."
Buehrle got on White Sox captain Paul Konerko quite a bit last year as he was playing in his final season of a five-year, $60 million deal. Konerko agreed upon a new three-year, $37.5 million deal to return during this past offseason and joked at SoxFest about how Buehrle was now the center of free-agent attention. But Buehrle doesn't expect to get much grief from Konerko on this matter.
"No. I told you, I have something on him so he can't get on me too much," said Buehrle with a mischievous smile. "And if he ever does, I'll let it leak, and we'll have a nice story."